This soup is yummy & packed with vegetables! My kids have no idea how many vegetables & beans they ate in it 🙂
Ham & White Bean Soup
This soup is super delicious & packed with a ton of vegetables & fiber! My kids gobbled it up! Really a great dinner idea on those cold winter days. I calculated the calories using MyFitnessPal’s recipe builder. It is a hearty bowl of soup without a hearty load of calories!
Servings: 9 people
- 10 slices center cut bacon
- 12 ozs Smithfield Anytime Favorites Sliced Ham
- 1 large onion chopped
- 5 ozs celery chopped
- 5 ozs baby carrots chopped
- 2 tsps minced garlic
- 1 can cannellini beans
- 2 cans great northern beans
- 4 tsps Knorr Chicken Bouillon
- 3 tbsps tomato paste
- Cook the 10 slices of bacon in a skillet.
- Meanwhile, chop the carrots, onions & celery. Cut the ham into bite size pieces.
- Once the bacon is done, remove from skillet, reserving 1 tbsp bacon grease. Drain bacon on paper towels & then chop it up for the topping.
- Transfer the reserved bacon grease to a stock pot. Add the onions, carrots, celery & minced garlic and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, until they are crisp tender. Add the chopped ham & continue cooking for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, drain & rinse the 3 cans of beans. Take about 1/2 the beans & place it in a blender with a cup of water. I used my nutri ninja for this. Blend the beans and the water. I do this to thicken the soup & because my kids aren’t wild about beans, so this is a sneaky way to get them to eat more than they see!
- Season the ham & veggie mixture with salt & pepper. Add the blended beans, the remaining beans, tomato paste, 4 cups of water & the 4 tsps of Knorr chicken bouillon to the pot. Bring to a boil & then simmer for 30 minutes.
- After it simmers, top with the chopped bacon & enjoy! I served it with a piece of french baguette on the side.