My family loves fried rice! We always order it when we go to either a Chinese or Japanese Restaurant. I have always struggled with getting my rice the perfect texture for fried rice. I have tried making it on the stove or in a dedicated rice cooker. The Instant Pot with its rice setting is amazing. It takes all the guess work out of making the perfect rice! I can set it and work on something else.
This is only a veggie fried rice, but meat can definitely be added to make it a meal! Chicken would be great in it. This recipe is quick and easy and tastes delicious. A huge time saver would be to make the rice ahead so it is already cooled when you start cooking.
Veggie Fried Rice
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp butter or margerine softened
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2/3 cup frozen corn
- 2/3 cup frozen peas
- 2 eggs scrambled
- 4 stalks green onions chopped
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 1/2 cup soy sauce regular or low sodium
- 4 tbsp teriyaki sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- Soften margarine or butter in microwave.
- Add rice, water, softened butter or margarine & salt to Instant Pot & stir.
- Set Instant Pot to “Rice” Mode.
- While rice is cooking, chop onion.
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil to large skillet & set to medium/high.
- Add onion, peas & corn to skillet & stir fry until veggies are thawed & onions are beginning to brown on the edges, set aside.
- Scramble eggs & set aside.
- When rice is done, allow to natural release for 5 minutes & then quick release.
- Spread rice on a tray and allow to cool – I actually cover mine with plastic and stick it outside on the patio table to speed up the cooling process.
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil to skillet & set to medium high.
- Begin stir frying cooled rice. When heated through, add veggies & eggs.
- Stir in soy sauce & teriyaki sauce. Continue stir frying until heated through.
- Add chopped green onions.
- Stir & Serve!